My Debate in class 5 - Should children be given smartphone in junior school?

Last year in class five, I gave the auditions for a debate. I was delighted to know the next day that I was selected. I couldn't control my excitement and I started practising hard. The topic was "Why children should not be given smart phones till senior school, and I was for the motion."And here's what I wrote.


        "Steve Jobs and Bill Gates", two of the most successful creators kept their households devoid of technology(forget cellphones) while their children grew up. Isn't it strange, this coming from them or is it because they knew better?
        Technology like any other tool has both good and bad sides to it. However, unlike any other tool of the past, a phone with an internet connection never runs out of junk food.The issues, of exposing children to cellphone are at many levels.

                                                   Let's talk about health issues first

         WHO has classified cell phone radiation as carcinogenic ( that causes cancer) to humans. Again children are more susceptible to this as their brain's skin is thinner, tissues weaker and bones lighter and can absorb almost twice as much radiation as compared to a grown up.
   
        Further, children whose mobile phones are at a significant larger risk of developing a non- malignant tumour in the ear and brain.

                                                   Even more serious are the behavioral issues

An app on the mobile phone does not distinguish whether you are a seven year old or a 30 year old  discerning individuals.
Often inappropriate content or violent content can leave a permanent scar on a child's psyche. Social Media (which is accessed 90% of times on the phones by children) and hence cyber bullying I seriously hampering the image kids hold of themselves. Research has found that an eighth grader's risk to depression increases by 27% when exposed to social media.

               No wonder how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates knew this all too well and never let the phones in hands of their children. I see a Bezos, a jobs, a gates waiting to be blossomed in each one of you- don't stop that happening just because you could not resist that game on your phone.

               With this I rest my case in the favour of prohibiting the usage of mobile phone amongst kids- it's just not worth it.

       


                 My dad helped me practice and here are some points that he told me:
1) Words are weapons
2) Judge is god, he chooses who wins or loses not my opponent
3) My opponent does not exist, they deny the truth
4) I am the truth




When I spoke this I was confident.  And because of that I was best speaker, my house was adjudged the best house. That was a proud moment for me.

                                              

Comments

Popular Posts